Quilled Poppy

Hey Everybody!

Quick post with a quilled poppy! What was initially supposed to be an entire poppy field became a single flower. This is one of those projects that I couldn’t manage to finish as planned no matter how hard I tried. Ah, well, I hope you like it anyway! 🙂

Quilled Poppy

Quilled Poppy

I actually pondered whether to post a single quilled poppy, but I really like the way it turned out so why not share it? I used 80gsm red paper for the petals and 120gsm for the stamen.

The stem is a wire wrapped in crepe paper. The diameter of the flower is aprox. 9 cm, so it’s pretty big! Here is a side view:

Quilled Poppy Side view

And a picture with the quilled poppy wrapped around my wrist so it will give you an idea on how big it is:

Quilled Poppy

Did you know that poppies also come in blue color? And what a gorgeous shade of blue it is! I think I just found my inspiration for my next project!

Blue Poppy

(image source)

I am still trying to come up with a design for my new watermark. This time I added a horizontal divider between the blog name and the URL. Do let me know what you think about it!

Quilling by ManuK Watermark

Thank you for your visit!

Manuela

Pooja says:

Wow ! The poppy is very beautiful ! I was wondering how did you make the center…Yes the blue one looks very nice.
    About the water mark,I would suggest remove the swirl behind name and address keep it on sides so the text can be read clearly.

Thank you for the feedback, Pooja! That was my concern with the watermark, whether the swirls are too much and the text is not clearly visible.

The center is a fringed flower (the black part) with a round shaped cone stuck in the middle (green part). Hope it helps!

Jo-Ann Bruce says:

I love your red Poppy. Blue one is the Himalayan Blue Poppy. I have tried and failed several times to grow them from seed. They are beautiful and I can’t wait to see your quilled version.

Thank you very much, Jo-Ann!

I did a little bit of reading while I was searching for pictures with the blue poppy and here is what I found on Wikipedia: “Himalayan varieties have the reputation for being difficult to grow from seed, but when germinating new plants, using fresh seeds will help”. There are other blue poppies besides the Himalayan, maybe you’ll have more luck with them 🙂 Hope it helps!

Jan Castle says:

GORGEOUS!!! The only word for your red poppy…a blue one should be equally beautiful…sigh!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan
    P.S. The line is okay as it does not obstruct the name. I suggest removing the second swirl that cuts thru the main name…makes it difficult to read the name…maybe expand on the first swirl that only touches the name. Maybe a small quilled flower at the top or bottom of the swirl…the red poppy would be an eye catcher – LOL!!! Whatever you decide will be wonderful!

Thank you so much for your lovely comment, Jan!

I appreciate your feedback on the watermark! You are perfectly right, I should really add a flower there!

Ray says:

Did you ever make a video showing how to make this fabulous flower?
    I would love to make one for my sister’s birthday, like me she is a devoted poppy fan!

evlin95 says:

Que de jolies creations sur votre blog je debute et suand je vois tout ça je suis sous le charme ce coquelicot rouge est d une finesse incroyable j adore j aime aussi beaucoup le chat noir inspiré d un tatouage je suis amoureuse des chats noirs ….. bravo je vous ai mis dans mes favoris car j ai plein de choses a apprendre chez vous merci