Spring in a Circle – Quilled Apple Blossom Wreath

Last week I received an order for a few small shadowbox frames with spring blossoms. I’ve browsed through so many photos with cherry and apple branches full of flowers that for days every time I closed my eyes that was the only thing I could see!

Those of you who follow me on Facebook already know about this project from the photos which I posted on my page. I should have finished it sooner, but, unfortunately, after I spent a whole day trying to shape the quilled branches, nothing turned out as I wanted. So… I decided to take a break over the weekend hoping to get back on the project with a fresh approach. And I am glad I did so, because on Monday I visited the Homyachok blog and their current challenge became my source of inspiration: “Spring in a Circle”.

Quilled Apple Blossom Wreath

I made a circle from florist wire covered in crepe paper with Ø=9cm and I started wrapping the flower stamens around it. I then added the leaves, which I made from crepe paper and, finally, the three ladybugs as a final touch.

Quilled Apple Blossom Wreath - Detail

I made the flowers from 160gm paper, hand cut into 1mm paper strips. I simply love how delicate and fragile they look!

Quilled Apple Blossom Flower

A photo with the wreath on my palm, to give you an idea on the real size:

Quilled Apple Blossom Wreath

I like so much the way the wreath turned out that I decided to actually keep it for myself! Bad news is that I still have to finish the blossoms haha!

Here are some of my other projects where I’ve used similar flowers, made of 1mm paper strips: quilled forget me not flowers,  red and white martisoare flowers and my first quilled cherry blossom branch.

I am entering the flower wreath in this month’s challenge on:

* For the Love of Crafting – Season’s Story

Homyachock Challenge Blog – Spring in a Circle.

Homyachok - Spring in a Circle

Thank you for your visit!

Manuela

Sathya Kala says:

Wow….Apple blossom wreath is surely an awesome thought…Greatly it has turned out,Manu!!! I still wonder how seamlessly the strips(more than 1strip is used i suppose) in each petal wound though 160gsm has been used…Shows ur utmost perfection!!!!

Thank you so much, Sathya!

For this type of flower 1 paper strip is enough to make 1 petal. If you’re planning to use paper lighter than 160gms, simply add more strips.

Hugs!

Pooja says:

Wow Is amazing how you quilled beautiful n delicate petals from strips of just 1mm !I loved the idea of cherry blossom wreath ..different from usual branch of tree with flowers in shades of pink !

Thank you very much, Nupur!

I am using a metal ruler and a cutter. I’ve never used pre-cut paper strips, I don’t even know how they look like. 😀 I’m sure that with a little bit of practice you’ll be able to cut perfect strips in no time!:)

Merry says:

This is so amazing, I was thinking that there was no quilling on there until I saw the close up of those amazing white flowers. Terrific and to think that you hand cut those strips so neatly and evenly. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Unstampabelles for our quilling challenge this month.

Thank you very much, Merry! The flowers and the ladybugs are all quilled, I opted for crepe paper leaves to give my project a more realistic look. 🙂

Multumesc mult, Cris!

Initial am facut un cerc mai mare din sarma, dar dupa un calcul rapid mi-am dat seama ca o sa am nevoie de foarte multe flori ca sa il acopar. Si cum dureaza o groaza pana se fac floricelele astea, m-am decis sa miscorez baza pana a ajuns cam cat o bratara. 🙂 Cand o sa folosesc fasii de hartie de 2mm o sa fac si o coronita mai mare, chiar sunt curioasa cum o sa arate!

Pupici!

Natasha Rodricks-Naidu says:

I’ve begun to really look forward to your posts. They make me want to take the rest of teh day off from work, go home and sit with my stash of quilled paper, toothpick and glue. May God keep blessing you and your wonderful talent.
    Can you mail me at [email protected] a pic of the quilling tool you use to get such a neat center point? And do you handcut the strips with a cutting board or utility knife? I’d love to give this a try.

WhiteRacoon says:

Hi! Great to see you playing with us at Homyachok challenge blog! I really enjoyed your creation, the flowers look amazing: so thin and delicate as if they were made of porcelain ! Lovely implementation!

Natasha Rodricks-Naidu says:

If that’s so, Manu, dear, I bow before your talent and skill for perfection in your work with such basic equipment. I read about crafters using hi-tech crafting tools and console myself that if I had those, I’d be half as good as them. But YOU. You renew my belief in true, unadulterated, god given talent. I feel fortunate to know you and wish you lots more happiness and success in your work. God Bless.

Thank you so much, Natasha, you’re very sweet! 🙂

I’ve had my own moments of despair when I thought that without a certain tool I will never be able to create what I want, but then I decided to make the most of what I have available. I know so many other quillers who use homemade tools, so I encourage you to do the same!

Wishing you lots of inspiration and creative ideas!

Nupur says:

Really pretty…. I loved everything about this wreath… especially how delicate those flowers look… Thank you so much for joining us at ‘For the love of crafting’.

suganthi says:

Beautiful Manuela. I am so inspired to try working with such thin strips. The flowers do look delicate and your work looks perfect a pleasure to see.

Lauren Tomecek says:

Wow, this just blew my mind! I couldn’t even tell it had quilled parts until I saw the close ups. Totallt understand your decision to keep it for yourself. Thanks for sharing at Unstampabelles.