Quilled Cherry Plum Blossom in a Shadobox Frame

I am back with another frame, this time a quilled cherry plum blossom. These tiny flowers are my very favorite to quill and even if I’ve used them lately in many of my projects, I just can’t seem to grow tired of making them.

Quilled Cherry Plum Blossom in a Shadowbox Frame

We call these shrubs “corcoduș” in Romanian and cherry plum or myrobalan plum was the closest translation in English I could find (Lat. Prunus cerasifera or Prunus divaricata). It is native to central and eastern Europe, south-western and central Asia. It is one of the first European trees to bloom in spring, often starting in mid-February. You can see them everywhere here, in parks and gardens, being impossible to miss when they are in bloom due to their delicious sweet smell and beautiful white flowers with green foliage or pink flowers with dark red foliage. The fruits are small, measuring 2-3cm in diameter, yellow or red in color. They are edible, reaching maturity from early July to mid-September. The fruits are sweet or sour and can be eaten fresh or can be used to make jam.

Quilled Cherry Plum Blossom - Detail

The total size of the frame is 25cm*25cm, with the inside measuring 23cm*23cm.  For the flowers I used hand cut 1mm wide paper strips, 160gsm. The diameter of 1 flower is approx. 2cm. Each leaf and flower were individually stemmed and then arranged to form the branches.

Quilled Cherry Plum Blossom - Detail

The butterfly is made of hand cut 1.5mm wide paper strips, 160gsm. It measures approx. 3cm*2.5cm and I used as inspiration the Large White butterfly or Pieris brassicae.

Quilled White Butterfly

This is the first version I made, in a pale cream color:

Quilled Butterfly

Some of my other projects where I used this type of flower: quilled forget-me-not flowers, quilled cherry blossom branch, quilled apple blossom wreathquilled apple blossom branch.

Thank you for your visit!

All your precious comments are welcome, as usual!

Manuela

For more quilling inspiration, please subscribe to my newsletter!

Zoe Brener says:

Really, really beautiful, as always! Incredible miniature work! Did you cut / punch the leaves out and score the vein?
    Do all these framed pieces adorn your home, or do you give them as presents?

Thank you, Zoe! Everything you see is hand cut, including the leaves. The veins are actually the wires I used to stem the leaves.

I sell my frames, give them as gifts and the ones I really like I can’t help but keep them to myself. :D

Hugs!

Pooja says:

I totally agree with Dr.SOnia ! Not even a single joint is visible in any of the petals,done to at-most perfection .Its always interesting to read the information ,I was wondering about the dark red/maroon leaves ..got the reasons after reading !

Soraya says:

I wish I lived near you so I could stalked you while you do those beautiful learns…. My goodness, you are extremely talented! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much, Thusitha! I am using a cutter and a metal ruler. I cut so many that now I don’t even have to measure the strips and it goes really fast.
      Hugs!

Natasha Rodricks-Naidu says:

Manu, these are simply perfect! I can’t find anything to critique in them. How do you manage such a teeny weeny center hole? You had said you used a clipped needle for a tool, correct? Wonderful work. And God ever bless you and your talent. Love, Natasha

Thank you very much, Natasha!

No, I never used a clipped needle for a tool, only a toothpick! I recently bought a slotted tool from a craft shop, but I don’t like it because it creates large center holes. You can sharpen the toothpick to make it as thin as you need it and your centers will be almost invisible. Hope it helps!

Hugs!

shivani sameer says:

AWESOME,BEAUTIFUL MANUK……..I Love quilling a lot and i think after taking your tutorials i will improve in my skills..thank you …..and i hope you respond me this time as you are not responding and my interests are going down and down please….. *-*

perkylabs says:

Hi Manuk,

Your work is too good and branches you arrange flower is looking like natural.
    I have a doubt and request, did you make branch by hand? can you please give some tutorial so that all can learn how to make beautiful and natural looking branches.

Perkylabs

Vanditha Jain says:

Hi mannu
    Amazing..:-) I’m so mesmerized with your flowers, and that delicate butterfly, just can’t take my eyes off. Talent with Patience makes a best craftsman and so are you :)

Lynda says:

Hi, do you sell these products? As I can’t find any prices and the one i am interested in is Quelled Cherry Plum Blossom in a Shadow box Frame. They would look lovely in my bedroom as I have got cherry plum wall stickers around my window.