Quilled Jasmines with Ladybugs in a Shadowbox Frame.
Today’s project is actually a remake of another one I did a year ago, another take on my quilled jasmines. As time goes by, I often look at older designs and wonder how would I approach the same idea and what would I do different now, with all the new things I constantly learn and discover. So I decided to give the quilled jasmines another go and this time I set myself the challenge to use 1mm wide paper strips, instead of 1.5mm. One might think that half a millimeter would go unnoticed, but trust me, it makes a huge difference!
It took me around 26 hours to finish this quilled painting. I finally managed to time myself, because usually I (would only consider) only think how much it took me to finish a certain project only in terms of days. The 26 hours were spread during 3 days, starting with me cutting the paper strips, making the flowers, the leaves, stemming everything, painting the background and finally assembling everything together. Because this wasn’t the first time I quilled jasmines, things went pretty fast because I already knew how to make the flowers and I didn’t spend hours or even days trying to perfect the design. This is the difference between flowers made with 1.5mm wide paper strips and the new ones, made with strips just 1mm wide:
I really like the way the flowers look now, so neat, one can barely tell they are made of paper strips. As for the leaves, I plucked real ones from the jasmine trees we have near our flat and put them in a book to dry. I then used the pressed leaves as a template to create the paper foliage.
The quilled picture wouldn’t be complete without some insects, so this time I added 2 ladybugs. I think their bright red color fits in perfectly next to the white flowers and green leaves.
Thank you for your visit and precious comments!